HOW TO GET A SCHOLARSHIP TO STUDY IN CANADA?
Has it been your dream to study in Canada and explore all the opportunities that the country has to offer? There are many scholarship opportunities which are available to the international students in Canada. If you are planning to apply for a scholarship at York University Housing, then you need to educate yourself about the options that are available to you. Here is all that you need to know about Canadian Scholarships.
What is the eligibility criteria for international scholarships?
Every international candidate who belongs to a non-native English speaking country needs to qualify the IELTS test with a minimum score of 5.5 to gain admission into college. Apart from that, there are three other criterions which play a crucial role when it comes to scholarships. Firstly, your scholarship depends upon your previous academic scores like grades and extracurricular activities. If there is anything that you have excelled in, then having a consistent track record will help prove that. Secondly, any demonstration of leadership skills in your previous educational institution needs to be mentioned. Thirdly, an exceptional scholarship essay will stand out. It should highlight your interest in the degree you are applying for, reasons for choosing Canada and your dreams and aspirations.
What are the different types of scholarships available for international students?
Scholarships not only reduce student debt but also assist the students with higher qualifications which help them to reach great universities in an affordable manner. Following are the subtypes of scholarships in Canada:
- Merit Scholarship: If you have a proven track record in academic excellence, then you shall be considered for merit scholarship which will cover your tuition fee and living expenses. The focus is on students who have excelled in the fields of either academic, arts or sports or even all of them.
- Government funded scholarship: The government offers several opportunities to international students for scholarship which includes undergraduate, graduate, doctoral and postdoctoral scholarships. Financial support is also extended to professionals who want to pursue higher education.
- Country based Scholarship:If you belong to the selected list of developing nations then you might be entitled to scholarship which is provided by the universities.
- University specific Scholarship: Most universities offer their own scholarships.
- Need based scholarship: They have been established to help high-achieving students from economically disadvantaged background. It also extends to single mothers and women.
- Privately funded Scholarship: Private organizations based out of Canada also offer scholarships to international students. They are usually offered to minorities, women, students from developing countries and fellow researchers.
How to apply?
The two main criteria for applying for scholarships are the university requirement and the basic screening criteria that have been set by the schools. Before applying read the rules and requirements carefully and be ready with all the necessary documents that need to be uploaded. Certain guidelines need to be followed for writing an effective scholarship essay.